The Academic Council of the University headed by Rector FUI, is the highest academic body of the University and has the powers to lay down proper standards of instruction, training, research publications, and examinations. It regulates and promotes the academic life of the University.
1. The Academic Council shall consist of the following members, namely:
- The Rector (Chairman)
- All the Deans
- All the Head of Departments, Institutes, Colleges and Schools
- All Professors and Associate Professors of the University
- A representative of the Federal Ministry of Education
- Two Assistant Professors and two Lecturers to be nominated by the Board of Governors on the recommendation of the Rector
- Three persons eminent in the arts, the sciences and the professions of whom one shall be from each category to be nominated by the Board of Governors
- Director (Academics), HEC
- Controller of Examinations
- Librarian; and
- The registrar
2. The Registrar shall, ex-officio, act as Secretary of the Academic Council.
3. Members appointed by nomination shall hold office for three years.
4. The quorum for a meeting of the Academic Council shall be one-third of the total number, a fraction being counted as one.