The establishment of "Department of Quality Asurance" is one of the many initiatives taken by the Higher Education Commission (HEC) to improve the quality and standard of higher education in Pakistan. The DQAs are established in the Private and Public Sector Universities and Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) of Pakistan and they are working under the guidance of HEC. The DQA at Foundation University Islamabad is working directly under the supervision of Rector FUI and Head of DQA reports the Rector on DQA activities.
Department of Quality Assurance aspires to make FUI a leading quality conscious university.
The Function & Key Responsibilities are:
1. Promoting public confidence that the quality and standards of the award of degrees are enhanced and safeguarded.
2. Reviewing quality standards and the quality of teaching and learning in each subject area.
3. Reviewing academic affiliations with other institutions in terms of effective management of standards and quality of programs.
4. Defining clear and explicit standards as points of reference to the reviews to be carried out. It should also help the employees to know as to what they could expect from candidates.
5. Developing qualifications framework by setting out the attributes and abilities that can be expected from the holder of a qualification, i.e. Bachelors, Bachelor with Honors, Master’s, M. Phil., and Doctoral.
6. Developing program specifications. These are standard set of information clarifying what knowledge, understanding, skills and other attributes a student will have developed on successfully completing a specific program.
7. Developing quality assurance processes and methods of evaluation to affirm that the quality of provision and the standard of awards are being maintained and to foster curriculum, subject and staff development, together with research and other scholarly activities.
8. Ensuring that the university’s quality assurance procedures are designed to fit in with the arrangements in place nationally for maintaining and improving the quality of Higher Education.
9. Developing procedures for the following:
- Approval of new programs
- Annual monitoring and evaluation including program monitoring, faculty monitoring, and student’s perception.
- Departmental review
- Student feedback
- Employer feedback
- Quality assurance of Master’s, M. Phil. And Ph. D. degree programs.
- Subject review
- Institutional assessment
- Program specifications
- Qualification framework